As I sat at the Florida Music Performance Assessment Concert last month, I realized that even though I am not a music person I sure do see a lot of concerts and marching bands! I don’t know one note from the next, but can tell if a note was cracked, and I have no idea whether something was played musically or not, but I do know if the music makes an impact and can tell if the audience around me is enjoying the concert. Just don’t ask me about articulation, phrasing, etc. I have no idea what any of that even means!
In the past few months I have had the chance to see Andrew perform with the Troy Symphony Band and with the Troy Percussion Ensemble numerous times. He also had the honor to perform with the Northwest Florida Symphony Orchestra twice this spring. Harry’s band – Walton High School has performed at many concerts also – marching band starts all over again the middle of July! This year went by way too fast and next year will begin way too soon!
The end of the year band trip for WHS was to Atlanta – Water park and Six Flags. My daughter Jessie and her two children, Cadence and Ethan came to the water park to meet us because they live close by. It was a long hot day for two young ones and by 5 o’clock they were ready to depart leaving the rest of us to stay until closing! Harry has a great group of kids in his band. They never give us any trouble and are for the most part respectful and obedient. No sneaking out of the rooms at night and winding up in the wrong rooms – at least not that we were aware of! 🙂 The band parents were great chaperones and took care of every last detail. Thank you WHS band parents!
At one point the kids got on the subject of rehearsals, band camp, band for next year and new uniforms. For some reason they think I know all the answers – I don’t, but don’t tell them that! 🙂 Here are a few of the questions I have been asked this year along with my answers:
- Is he going to split the bass line next year? – What? I don’t even know what a base line is! lol
- Is there a rehearsal this afternoon? – I get calls on my cell phone about this. I am in another town an hour away and I get asked this at least once a week. – Don’t know the answer.
- What time will he finish rehearsal today? – another of those calls – normal time I guess.
- How much money do I have in my band account? – I don’t have that on me but I will send you an email if you remember to send me one asking for it. Hahaha I can’t remember everything. All those numbers are not embedded in my mind.
- Do you know where my shoes are? I left them on the bus last week. – If they were turned in they may be in the uniform room. If your name isn’t in them I’m going to charge you $5 to get them back. They have an issue with putting their name in their shoes!
- Did you sew my buttons on my uniform yet? – This comes as they as they are dressing for a performance. Yes if you sent your uniform home with Dr. Patzig with a note on it – No if you didn’t. It is usually no and then I have to scramble for buttons, needle, and thread and get it done pronto! Some times a pin will have to do.
- What time will band camp start and when will it be over? – We haven’t sent a schedule out yet but soon. Be prepared to run over on quitting time and then if you don’t run over – be happy!
- What are our new uniforms going to look like? – Am I supposed to know that?
- Just tell us – will it have a cape? – You can be positive it won’t have a cape! And probably no gauntlets, or Trojan looking hats! (You could hear the groans!) What is it with the cape thing?!
- Then it will probably be just an updated version of what we already have, right? – I just smiled and said it was time for me to go to my room for some sleep! 🙂
We had a great year at WHS and I feel Andrew had a great year at Troy. Everyone did their part – Great job Harry – Great job WHS Band/ Color guard – Great job Band Parents, and Great job Andrew at Troy! Summer is here and now it is time to enjoy a few weeks until it starts again with band camp – fund raisers – ball games at Walton and college games for Andrew at Troy – parades – marching festivals – All-state – solo/ensemble – concerts, concerts, concerts! I wouldn’t have it any other way!