In the world of technology and constant texting there are a lot of abbreviations called acronyms which are actually words that are formed by combining some parts (usually the first letters) of some other terms. I don’t use these much in texting. Maybe because I don’t know all the lingo and sometimes I’m left hanging.
The top ten acronyms used in texting are:
- 2moro – Tomorrow
- 2nite – Tonight
- BRB – Be Right Back
- BTW – By The Way -or- Bring The Wheelchair
- B4N – Bye For Now
- BCNU – Be Seeing You
- BFF – Best Friends Forever -or- Best Friend’s Funeral
- CYA – Cover Your Ass -or- See Ya
- DBEYR – Don’t Believe Everything You Read
- DILLIGAS – Do I Look Like I Give A Sh**
The rest you can see here if you think you are up to it after the first ten. There’s about three up there that have more than one meaning. How are you supposed to know what is meant?
- 1st scenario – You’ve just had a fight with your all time best friend. Your cell goes off with a text alert from that said friend saying, ‘BFF’ , which means Best Friends Forever. Wow! She forgave me! So sweet…But wait…That can also mean Best Friend’s Funeral. Should you rush out to meet her or hop the next flight out of the country?
- 2nd scenario – Your cell goes off in the middle of the night. A text from your significant other who has been off mountain climbing. You read, ‘BTH’. Then your phone goes dead and your charger is no where to be found. The rest of the night you are up worrying. Did he forget to tell me something or did he fall off that mountain and I need to BTW – Bring The Wheelchair?
- 3rd scenario – This could be very confusing if you are in mixed company and your cell alerts you from your BFF with a message of ‘CYA’. Wait a minute. Is my ass showing you wonder as you try to discreetly look behind you. Maybe I just put my foot in my mouth and need to cover that lie. Who sees my what and where and when?