Gone are the carefree days of life as it was before one spouse retires and the other still works from home. I’ve come up with a short list of important tips. I used to be home all day working while H was out in the work field all day. There is no more, “How was your day dear?” because his day was my day. It’s not easy to suddenly have to share my space and time. Sometimes I find myself looking for something to do so H won’t think I actually had some free time once in a while. What he didn’t know did not hurt him! You can read about that here.
5 Things Newly Retired Spouses Need To Know – When One
Works From Home And Hasn’t Retired Yet
- Hamper – Even though there is a lid, it opens, and dirty clothes can be put inside.
- Hot water – Don’t turn on the hot water in the kitchen while I’m in the shower. This is an old house with old plumbing.
- How to fix a sandwich – It’s easier than you think. Take out bread, meat, cheese, and condiments. Put all together between two slice of bread. Cut as preferred and eat. You can also make two – one for me! I’ll love you forever for that!
- Cross off items on your to-do list – Yes, you have one. I gave it to you months ago. Don’t sit around thinking of things I can do to keep busy while you are sitting in your chair playing on your phone and watching Fox News 24-7. I may not look it, but I AM WORKING – WRITING IS WORKING.
- It isn’t all about you – Remember this is as new to me as it is to you. I may sometimes seem distant, but my time and space has been invaded and my routine disrupted, also. We both need to learn how to share our free time. It doesn’t mean I don’t love you when I say I need some space.
I’m sure there are more tips I could add, but I don’t want to seem bitchy and unappreciative. The scales have been tipped and we are searching for the answer. It’s a learning process when suddenly there is an extra person around all day. I’ve learned to say what’s on my mind because H can’t read minds any better than I can. After ten months we are finally figuring it out!
What can you add to this list?